3. OCCUPATION: Legal assistant/ freelance entertainment writer
4. PLACE OF RESIDENCE: Phoenix, Arizona US
5. YEARS AS A FAN: At least 26--maybe 28. Hard to recall exactly...
9. HOW DID YOU FIRST DISCOVER CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC
AND WAS THERE A PARTICULAR SONG THAT MADE YOU SEE THE LIGHT?:
The first time I ever saw a "used record" bin I purchased both "Trout Mask Replica" and
"The Velvet Underground and Nico" for a buck each. Mostly out of curiosity. Talk about a double whammy!! Both of these were like a slap in the head. They were nothing like ANYTHING I had ever heard before
and I was immediately a fan for life. The Beefheart album was the one I stuck with more
. I would just play a side over and over again. At first it was just plain weird and I enjoyed it for that.
Over time I began to enjoy the humor and general good spirits of the thing.
Finally it got to the point where it didn't sound weird at all. It just seemed to make perfect sense.
It was then and still is now the most interesting and rewarding music that I have ever listened to.
That Velvet Underground elpee ain't no slouch either!!!
10. NUMBER OF BEEFHEART GIGS SEEN, AND WHICH YEARS:
Around the time of "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)" and then "Doc at the Radar Station".
The venues were Paul's Mall/Jazz Workshop (same venue with two rooms--I don't recall if it was the
Mall or Workshop side) and The Paradise. Both are in Boston Massachusetts.
The exact years are a mystery to me at the moment.
11. ART SHOWS VISITED: No Van Vliet shows have been in my area to my knowledge.
12. ANY CONTACT WITH DON?: I made eye
contact with him at both shows!!
And I swear to this day that he seemed to show a flash of recognition the second time.
13. MUSICAL ABILITY / TRAINING: I leave that to the trained professionals....
14. ANY OTHER INFO YOU WISH TO ADD?: Zarf.