2. DATE OF BIRTH: 29/04/68
3. OCCUPATION: living
4. PLACE OF RESIDENCE: outside Ottawa, Canada
5. YEARS AS A FAN: 15
9. HOW DID YOU FIRST DISCOVER CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND,
AND WAS THERE A PARTICULAR SONG THAT MADE YOU SEE THE LIGHT?:
My friend Donald showed me the drum part to Electricity and i was hooked. he taped the "2 Bizarre Originals" double album for me, and the song that made me see the light was The Clouds Are Full of Wine. i'd run home from school at lunch hour and play that song over and over again. Beefheart got me through grade 12, and also got me out of university!
10. NUMBER OF BEEFHEART GIGS SEEN, AND WHICH YEARS: N/A
11. ART SHOWS VISITED: none of DVV's
12. ANY CONTACT WITH DON?: only through his lp's and cd's
13. MUSICAL ABILITY / TRAINING:
self-taught drummer/percussionist, been playing for 18 years now...yikes! hack guitarist, loathsome pianist, and crude but trying bassist as well...one year of "training" at Antiseptic University.
14. ANY OTHER INFO YOU WISH TO ADD?
music has existed for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. it exists without the aid of
humans (ie:birdsong, whalesong, wind in reeds, etc etc). it bothers me when i see a "musician", no
matter how talented, who reeks of attitude, or feels that they are somehow superior due to their
musical prowess. Music existed loooong before they did, and will continue to exist loooooongafter them. so why not play the best you can and be humble about it? that's the beef in my heart this rainy day.
...and i like apple crisp and Pee Wee Herman.