2. DATE OF BIRTH: 12/11/57
3. OCCUPATION: Undecided but gainfully employed.
4. PLACE OF RESIDENCE: Phoenix AZ,USA
5. WHAT YEAR DID YOU BECOME A FAN?: 1970
2. Roland Kirk
3. Taj Mahal
4. Ornette Coleman
5. Miles Davis
6. Sun Ra
7. Charles Mingus
8. Merle Haggard
9. Harry Belafonte
9. HOW DID YOU FIRST DISCOVER CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND,
AND WAS THERE A PARTICULAR SONG THAT MADE YOU SEE THE LIGHT?:
When I was was thirteen my brother and his friend used to hole up in the basement and listen to Trout Mask over and over.I borrowed it from him so often he gave me his copy and bought another. I still have that copy.
10. NUMBER OF BEEFHEART GIGS SEEN, AND WHICH YEARS:
Six. Once with Zappa during the Bongo Fury Tour. Exact years are sketchy, Between 1976 and 1981
11. ART SHOWS VISITED: None of Don's
12. ANY CONTACT WITH DON?:
He mailed me a little note once, to my flat in Brooklyn, telling me no, I did not have permission to use a line from one of
his songs in a book I was writing. I stood next to him and Jan at the Bottom line in NYC for a few minutes before a show. No real conversation, kind of me just standing there staring...
13. MUSICAL ABILITY / TRAINING:
Self taught alto sax, percussion, harmonica. I can jam, but I'm no musician.
14. ANY OTHER INFO YOU WISH TO ADD?
I hadn't had a conversation with someone about the work of DVV in ten years until I came across the fireparty.