1. NAME: Thomas van den Reydt
2. DATE OF BIRTH: june 12th 1973
3. OCCUPATION: Freelance copywriter / Bookseller
4. PLACE OF RESIDENCE: Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5. WHAT YEAR DID YOU BECOME A FAN?: 1991, I think.
SAFE AS MILK : _______________________7
MIRROR MAN : _______________________10
STRICTLY PERSONAL : ________________6
TROUT MASK REPLICA : _______________2
LICK MY DECALS OFF BABY : _________ 1
SPOTLIGHT KID :______________________9
CLEAR SPOT : ________________________8
UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED : _11
BLUE JEANS & MOONBEAMS : _______ 12
SHINY BEAST : _______________________5
DOC AT THE RADAR STATION : _______ 3
ICE CREAM FOR CROW :_____________ 4
7. TOP 10 OTHER ACTS:1. Motorpsycho
2. The Dillinger Escape Plan
4. The Residents
5. Aphex Twin
6. King Crimson
7. Led Zeppelin
9. PJ Harvey
8. NUMBER OF ALBUMS OWNED:
In total? Don't know, a thousand maybe. Captain Beefheart? All, except the DiMartino ones. O and I have Grow Fins on vinyl :-).
9. HOW DID YOU FIRST DISCOVER CAPTAIN BEEFHEART &THE MAGIC BAND,
AND WAS THERE A PARTICULAR SONG THAT MADE YOU SEE THE LIGHT?:
The first one I heard was 'Evening Bell', aged 10. My guitarteacher played it himself as I was entering his room. I didn't ask him what it was, but recognised it years later. A friend of mine had turned on to the Captain and I bought his 'Ice Cream for Crow'. The I recognised 'Evening Bell' immediately. A happy accident, I might add.
I have gone through so many phases of delving into the Magic Music. At first there was 'Evening Bell',
without me knowing it. Then came 'Gimme Dat Harp, Boy', as a part of a blues-appreciation-programme a
friend of mine embarked me on after me saying that I didn't like the blues (I have grown up since then...a bit). Then came 'Trout Mask Replica' which as a whole set me on fire, especially 'Bill's Corpse', 'Orange Claw Hammer' and 'Moonlight on Vermont'. But the real deepening, defining moment came with 'Doctor Dark'.
10. NUMBER OF BEEFHEART GIGS SEEN, AND WHICH YEARS:
None. Not even the reunion...yet, I hope.PLease play Holland!
11. ART SHOWS VISITED: None, I regret to say.
12. ANY CONTACT WITH DON?: Other than through his music, no.
13. MUSICAL ABILITY / TRAINING:
Guitarlessons from age 7 through 15. From then, unlearning all I learned (at the instigation of my teacher).
Also play bassguitar and drums. Attempts at singing.
14. ANY OTHER INFO YOU WISH TO ADD?
I named my cat Beefheart. He chose it himself actually. It was the only name I gave him that he responded to.