A GUIDE TO THE SWAMP THING TV SERIES
"The Swamp is my world
It is who I am... It is what I am
I was once a man,
I know the evil men do
Do not bring your evil here, I warn you...
Beware the wrath of... Swamp Thing!"
"What a load of bollocks!"
Hello, and welcome to my humble little website dedicated to the Swamp Thing TV series. If you're reading this then I guess that you either have an interest in the the series -- or comics that it is based on -- or you've stumbled onto this page and are wondering what it's all about; in which case I'll do my best to enlighten you and let you decide whether this is a series you should be watching or not. Of course, how could it not be?? (Biased... moi?) Don't expect a reverent homage through rose tinted specs though, and having a sense of humour when watching it helps the experience immesely. Still, let's face it, I must really love the series if I'm writing this web site for it, mustn't I? (either that or a closet masochist!) :) Of course, if you came here by accident and wish to run away screaming, now's a jolly good time to do it. <g>
The obligatory introduction (to save you having to search through pages to see if there is a spark of interest there): Swamp Thing is a half hour cable TV series by MCA/Universal, and made by BBK Productions that aired on the USA Network between 1990 and 1993, and is currently being re-run on the Sci Fi Channel. The series follows the adventures of Dr. Alec Holland, a scientist who was disfigured and transformed in a laboratory accident caused by his arch enemy, Dr. Anton Arcane. Alec seems to have a full time job on his hands as he has to constantly contend with Arcane's demented schemes of acquisition and destruction which invariably threaten Alec and his friends. Well, usually: After a little while it seemed to be decided that this was getting old and having poor Arcane do his best to find more and ingenious ways to finish himself off instead seemed to be the more usual plot (and a lot of fun it was too!)
Of course, not every episode has Arcane as the threat, or even in it (although the ones with him in are by far the most fun, in most viewers' opinions.) Though Alec -- or 'Swampy' as he is affectionately known -- is the title character, the series spends more time concentrating on the other characters, notably his nemesis, Arcane, and others created specifically for the TV show, such as the Kipp family. Anyone expecting a standard superhero show with said hero constantly flexing the old muscles and saving the day, with everyone else pretty much in the background isn't going to get that with this show. The other characters were concentrated on more; and the show was more of an ensemble one than dealing with just one main person. By not overusing or formularising Swamp Thing, his mystique and enigma are preserved throughout the series (well, mostly. He had his moments! <g>)
One thing to be said about 'Swamp Thing' is that it is not a series that takes itself too seriously. Let's face it, when you're hero is a seven foot tall talking plant, it's a tad difficult to be taken seriously... so the series often doesn't try! (& when it does, oh boy, does it regret it!! <g>) It contains a lot of humour (more dialogue driven than visual) and isn't afraid to stand back and take a good laugh at itself, and only very rarely descends into off-putting camp. That isn't to say that it's shallow. Far from it. For such a low budget and often cheezy show, the characters are amazingly well defined and have strong depth and motivation (well, at least after first season, anyway.) I'll leave going into the series in huge amounts of detail for the other, more dedicated sections in this website, where I'll be covering just about any aspect I can think of. This site is still very much under construction. I have a lot planned for it, and it will be constantly added to and updated; so if you like it, please keep checking in to see what's new. All news of amendments and additions will also be posted to alt.tv.swamp-thing and the varous other related SF, comic and TV newsgroups, as well as the Swampy and DC mailing lists.
Well, onto what's on offer here so far!
- Swamp Thing: A general history and overview of all 3 seasons (also covering the comics, movies and animated series (there is a further link for this to a very good illustrated info and price guide on the cartoon series toys which has been very kindly written, illustrated and HTMLed for the site by Ryan Anthony Summers)
- The Swamp Thing FAQ This is pretty big (200K+), in HTML, and in two parts (and now bookmarked for ease of finding things.) A sectioned text version should be available on the newsgroup alt.tv.swamp-thing. For a single .doc or text file of the latest version email me and I'll be happy to send you one (the addy's at the bottom of this page)
- An Episode Guide: With original airdates (US & UK), cast lists, writer/director info and synopses for all episodes. Where a hyperlink is indicated on each title, there follows a further, more detailed section on the episode containing a much longer and more detailed summary (with most of the dialogue, complete spoilers and illustrating images; and -- coming later -- some comments, reviews, nit-picks and background info/trivia etc.) All episodes will be covered eventually. This will take some time though, as you can appreciate (once in a while I'll treat myself to some sleep and a life <g>). There's 25 up there for now, and others will be following shortly.
- The Main Characters: Their profiles and biogs (this could be a little while without some help on background for the characters... hint, hint, pretty please, grovel, grovel...)
- The Actors: Biographical and career details (These are unlikely to ever be complete, but will be added to whenever possible)
- The Production Team: Biographical and career details (as with the cast info, these are also incomplete)
- The Photo Gallery: Images from the series, both of the main characters, and general scenes. With *lots* more to come.
- Fiction: Have a read of some of the stories that other fans have written. Fancy writing anything yourself? Then just send it in!
- Some favourite quotes from the series
- Survey: With rumours of revival still rife, why not let The Powers That Be know what you liked and disliked about the series! If you've got a few moments, please fill out this survey and I'll publish the Results regularly. I appreciate that there's quite a few questions. Just fill in as much or as little as you want. If you don't want to fill it in online, just send any comments in by email, including any suggestions for questions and issues not covered. Thanks for your time. Thanks also to Jon and Mike for their invaluable technical know-how with this. *Please note* I've recently found that the formmail for Easynet's had problems, and the survey's not been working. If you've recently tried without success (i.e. not seen your results up, or had a thank you email from me if you left your addy, it should be working again now. If not, there is another version of the survey on the fanclub page.
- The Second Season series bible: A highly detailed series bible was written by Tom Greene, who has very kindly given permission for it to be used (and I think you'll be pretty amazed at the thought and effort that got put into it, and some of the plotlines that never got to be filmed; and the differences between the proposed episodes and the final filmed versions!... just get a load of the proposed last episode!!) (File is 130K)
Note: October 23, 1990 SWAMP THING BIBLE - TOM GREENE PRODUCTIONS, INC. - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - USED BY PERMISSION - DUPLICATING OF THIS MATERIAL IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN - FOR INFORMATIONAL USE ONLY - SWAMP THING IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF DC COMICS WHICH HOLDS ALL RIGHTS
- Links to related sites and newsgroup
- What's New: Check here to see what's been added to the site lately, and what's planned.
I'll be constantly trying to find ways to make this site better. If you have any comments at all, or suggestions on any means of improvement I'd love to hear from you. Criticisms are equally welcome. Most welcome of all though are contributions. I'm always on the lookout for the following:
- Any additional info or trivia for the biographical and filmography details of the cast and crew
- *Any* trivia or background info on the series in general, or for specific episodes, or locations that were used (be it concerning events in the episodes themselves or behind the scenes info; however small or insignificant that trivia might seem to you, it's still useful)
- Info, or suggestions for questions to use in the FAQ that aren't already covered.
- Written reviews & personal comments on the episodes I can add to the summary pages and other sections (always good to get other people's opinions to counteract whatever biases I might have, since I can be somewhat opinionated :-))
- Images and Sound clips
- Suggestions for some of your favourite quotes to include
- Please let me know if you spot any mistakes (including wrong information, typos and links not working etc.) on these pages and I'll correct them a.s.a.p.
- Fiction for the series (any and all... pretty please! :-))
- If you know of a web site or link pertaining to any aspect of Swamp Thing -- or to anyone connected with the series -- that isn't here, let me know and I'll add it.
- Info on articles, magazines and books covering the series that aren't mentioned in the FAQ
- Suggestions for other sections you'd like to see here
- I'm especially looking for info on a correct running order for the series. NOT the air date order, but the story chronological timeline/continuity order, since there were several noticeable glitches in the continuity when going by air dates.
- And on a more personal quest, if anyone has any memorabilia they don't mind trading; or knows of any shops with any, *please* let me know (I'm especially looking for scripts, props and costumes from the series... Oh well, I can but dream and hope, I suppose :-)))
- If anybody has any official background info on the plans for the series episodes (screened ones, or ones that would have been made had the series continued), or detailed character breakdowns with background histories, timelines etc., (the type of stuff that might be available in series bibles of the more detailed kind.) These will really be needed for the character profiles, which I'd like to get on with a.s.a.p. Anything like that would be classed as urgent and most needed, if at all possible. Addendum: I'm okay for second season background now (although more will never go amiss :-)), but first and third season background would be great.
SWAMPY FAN CLUB
Carol Ann Chwal has now set up a fan club for the series (and also considering a separate one for Mark Lindsay Chapman as well (who portrays Dr. Arcane)) Membership is $10 ($12 for overseas) per year. For further information; or feedback and suggestions on what you'd like to see the club providing, please contact Carol at email@example.com or visit the club's website at http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/8827/index.html
I'd like to thank the following people for their help, support and/or contributions: Carol Ann Chwal, Robyn King-Nitschke, Steve Iverson, JJ ARROW, Jon T Day, Mike Huffman, Q, Mike Raine, Audrey De Lisle, Michael Brookes, Mike O'Donovan, Tracey Webb, Kosmo, Fan Shing, Dara Sloan, Ponce, Sin Yi, Robert, Torsten Dewi, Steven L. Sears, Sherry Wood, Charles R.L. Power, Tiff, Ryan Anthony Summers, Tom Greene, Gary Storm, Patrick, Judy Gorman, Joseph Mangine, Sci Fi Channel, Tom Nowicki, Kristina Latimer, and several other people. If I've inadvertently left anybody out, the humblest of apologies are heading your way. Let me know and I'll grovellingly make corrections.
As some of you may already know, Fran recently lost a long, hard battle against cancer. This website will, however continue as she would have wanted it to.
We will NOT take down the page and we will try to keep the page updated on a regular basis. If you have any suggestions, comments, or can help with the page, please contact either Mike Raine (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Shelley White (email@example.com).
To all of you who knew Fran, and have sent tributes or messages, her family thank you for your support.
You are visitor:
Disclaimer: This page is not authorised or endorsed by MCA, Universal Studios, DC Comics, Batfilm Productions, DIC Entertainment, BBK Productions, USA Network, Sci Fi Channel, HSN or any of their affiliates, etc, etc.. This is purely a fan written page dedicated to "Swamp Thing" and its characters; and is not intended to infringe upon any trademark rights or copyrights. "Swamp Thing" and the characters contained therein are trademarks which belong to their owners. The purpose of this site is merely to entertain and inform, and is strictly in no way connected to any profit making purposes. Reproduction of this site, in whole or part, for commercial purposes is forbidden.